Please leave any comments or queries via the contact page.
More Photographs from the State Library of Victoria
Members of Sir William J. Clarke’s Battery Victorian Horse Artillery Rupertswood 1895.
The Victorian Horse Artillery was a wealthy man’s project. Landowner and grazier Sir William Clarke founded the horse artillery and based it at his property Rupertswood, near Sunbury. His son Rupert commanded the battery. The Clarkes provided 60 horses for the horse artillery, at substantial cost. The Regiment cost him nearly £2000 a year. This regiment lasted from 1885 until 1897, after Sir William Clarke had died and with the Government not considering the expense justifiable.