K.G. Luke Pty. Ltd.

K.G. Luke Pty Ltd:

Sir Kenneth George Luke (1896-1971) was a successful businessman and V.F.L. football administrator. 

Decoration and Glass, April 1938 page 70.

He became a partner in a metal-spinning and silverware business in Carlton in 1921, becoming the owner by 1925. It would become a successful silverware and military accoutrement firm, also making hospital equipment.

“Decoration and Glass” magazine, 1936 page 50.

In 1930 it was listed as K.G Luke Pty. Ltd. then in 1953 became  K.G. luke (A/Asia) Ltd. The name changed to Luke Ltd. in 1976 and was taken over by National Consolidated Ltd in 1983.

 Australian Women’s Weekly, 18th March 1950 page 6. Paramount was Luke’s trademarked silverware.

The Advertiser (Adelaide), 16th April 1953 page 7.


The Age (Melbourne), 16th May 1953 page 5. Coronation Souvenirs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From 1935 -1945 K. G. Luke made brass, copper, oxidised and white metal buttons for military needs, as well as brooches, badges, buckles, identity disks and heated food trolleys.

With and without state borders.

K. G. Luke Pty Ltd

The button below is interesting:  After the battle for Guadalcanal the First Marine Division came to Australia to be rested, particularly in Melbourne. They required warmer clothes for winter and so the ‘Australian Battle Jacket’ was made for them in 1943. It was referred to as the Vandegrift jacket.

Commonwealth Government Gazette: Contracts accepted 24th June 1943. They also made insignia for the U.S. Army.

 

“Vandergrif” jacket. Museum Victoria, item HT25448. 1943.

RAAF

NSW Police, King’s Crown

Victoria Police, King’s and Queen’s crowns.

Red Cross

TAA Captain’s epulette button.TAA was rebranded as Australian Airlines in 1986 and acquired by Qantas in 1992.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The AMF button below is a puzzle. The company changed its name to K.C. Luke (A/Asia) Ltd in May 1953, and yet the button features a “Kings Crown”. As King George VI died on the 6th February 1952, this crown should not have been used, although she was not crowned until 2nd June 1953. I wonder if the button was made in 1953 but not issued.

There is a dot for the location of the ACT