Scouting in Queensland started in October 1908, only 9 months after the publishing of Baden Powell’s famous book. Four separate patrols were started by church leaders of boys groups. In 1909 they joined into a State organisation.
Various scouting troops started in 1908 in this state.
New South Wales
Scouting in NSW also started in 1908. As the troops formed independently, there resulted in several separate associations. It is now predominantly a branch of Scouts Australia.
We have not seen a Scouts Victoria button; perhaps they only used unspecified buttons. Let us know (and send a picture) if we are wrong!
Guiding groups formed around Australia from 1909-1920, and formed a national organisation in 1926. Prior to 1996 girls aged 5-7 years were known as Brownies.
See also the N.S.W. Pipe band on the Government uniforms page.
Brighton Yacht Club
This club was established in 1875 as the Brighton Sailing Club, becoming the Brighton Yacht Club by 1876. The first Club House was built in 1877. In 1924 the Royal Warrant was granted.
Holdfast Bay Yacht Club
The Holdfast Yacht Club was established in 1883. In 1998 it merged with the Glenelg sailing Club to form the Adelaide Sailing Club.
Huntingdale Golf Club
Formed from a club started in 1896, the club opened in 1941 on the site of the old Melbourne Hunt Club in East Oakleigh. Huntingdale has hosted the Australian Masters since 1979.
Royal Motor Yacht Corp
The RMYC has operated from Pittwater since 1926. For their history see https://www.royalmotor.com.au/the-club/rmyc-history
Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club
In 1856 the first yachting club was formed in Sydney; the Mosquito Club. In October 1867, with the Prince about to visit, the club reformed to become the Prince Alfred Yacht Club.
The Royal Sydney and Prince Alfred clubs’ yachts formed a guard of honour when the HMS Galatea sailed through Sydney Harbour. In 1911 the club was given permission to use the prefix ‘Royal’.
In 1919 the club moved to the less crowded waters of Pittwater, and stayed there until selling the land for a pretty penny in 1970. A second club house had previously built in the 1960s and was now the club’s sole location.
Royal Queensland Yacht Club
The club started as the Brisbane sailing Club in 1885. it was renamed the Queensland yacht Club in 1894 and gained the Royal title in 1902. Queen Elizabeth approved the name change to Squadron in 1961.
Royal Sydney Golf Club, Sydney
According to the club’s website (https://www.rsgc.com.au/cms/heritage/history/) the first club house consisted of a couple of rented rooms in a cottage. The second clubhouse was built in 1897. It was at the official opening of this facility that it was announced that the club had been allowed the prefix “Royal” by Queen Victoria. The third club house was built on the site of the current facility in 1903 but burnt down in 1920.
By 1919 the membership numbered almost 1,500. After the fire a larger building was built and opened in July 1922. Further renovations have been necessary due to another fire, however this allowed for increased membership.
Royal Yacht Club of Victoria
Established as early as May 1853 as the Victorian Yacht club, it is one of the oldest in Australia. it received the royal title in 1885.
Australian Red Cross Society
Originally the British red Cross Australian Branch, it was established in 1914, just 9 days into WW1. It provided services including knitting socks, rolling bandages, gathering information on the dead and missing and burial places. It sent civilian nurses to France. In WW2 it cared for the sick, injured, maimed and their dependents, ran hostels and provided contact with POW. Most of the volunteers at that time were unmarried women.
It continues to provide humanitarian aid, both local and international, and community services including blood supply services. See also Red Cross Rest Home below.
Campaigners for Christ Volunteers
In 1936 a group of businessmen and Christian laymen in Melbourne and Sydney formed Campaigners for Christ. During WW2 they were given permission to serve the forces by setting up “Everyman’s Huts” (and later Everywoman’s) for refreshment and entertainment. The staff wore military style uniforms and hold honorary Officer status. These services were funded by donations. They still support the military today.
Red Cross Rest Home
Rest homes were built with money raised by the community. According to the National trust:
Rest homes were built because there was nowhere for the soldiers to convalesce in the military hospitals other than on the verandahs or dining rooms and the men apparently soon became bored with these options. Rest rooms provided billiard tables, pianos and gramophones; they were centres for men to read and write and the Caulfield rest home had an excellent library. They offered the chance to see friends, play games and have morning and afternoon tea. The men were able to learn important skills such as wood carving, leather tooling, spinning, painting, raffia work and stitchery. It was thought these skills would enable them to supplement their pensions. The articles they made were often sold to raise more funds for the Red Cross. These pastimes were vitally important for the men’s physical and mental health. In 1919 the Rest Home was being enlarged to include a pavilion for sick nurses (The Age 24 March 1919, p8).
But who made the buttons?
The original Bridgland and King were Charles Everest Bridgland and Percy John King, the same P. J. King of the famous firm. The partnership started in 1893 as engravers of brass plates and general work, in Little Collins Street. The partnership dissolved in 1899 with King continuing alone.
The usurpers may have been the firm advertising as located at 378 Post Office Place (Lt Bourke Street) and offering the same services. They advertised heavily over the coming years, and were responsible for at some uniform buttons.
St John Ambulance Brigade
The Brigade has it’s origins in 1877 when the Order of St John (a British chivalric order dating back to the Knights Hospitaller in the 12th century) founded an association to provide first aid training, and later, volunteers capable of providing medical assistance at public gathering and during emergencies.
St John Ambulance teaches first aid, and provides emergency medical services, primary staffed by volunteers. The first local branch was established in Melbourne in 1883. The first ambulance brigade was at Glebe, New South Wales, in 1903. The title St John Ambulance Australia was adopted in 1987.
Young Australia League
The YAL was founded by John Joseph (Jack) Simons (1882-1948), a West Australian businessman, newspaper publisher and politician.
The ‘Young Australia League’ was renamed in 1905 from the ‘Young Australia Football League’ which had been started in Perth and Freemantle that same year to promote the Australia code over other codes as part of a broader nationalist agenda, with a broadened interest covering literature, literature, debating, band music, sport and theatrical performances, and well as outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. They believed in “Education through Travel” and organised tours for West Australian school aged boys. After WW1 branches were started in other States. In now operates only in West Australia.
Women’s National Emergency Legion
It provided first aid and other training to allow women to help with the war effort, and was an auxiliary of the Department of Defence. Despite being a civilian organisation, it adopted military style uniforms and ranks. Around 1940 they became affiliated with Britain’s First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (F.A.N.Y.)
Following the outbreak of the Pacific War members were attached to U.S. units as drivers and clerks. Some watched for mines for the Naval Corps and some with the Volunteer Air Observers.