See also the page of vintage Beutron advertising.
G. Herring & Co. Ltd. 1931-1939
‘G. Herring and Co.’ advertised for a travelling salesman for sheep-branding oil in 1931-2. In March 1933 it became G. Herring and Co. Ltd., cotton spinners and manufacturers of twine, jute and flax.
By 1937 they were importing button and buckles. Also around this time they were extending into jewellery.
The company was named after George Gerard Herring (1900-1980), one of the original directors. The other original directors were Marshall Carl Adolf Ney, his brother Cornelius Frederick Bernhard Ney, and John E. Morrow. Marshall Ney (1906-1967) was the managing director from 1933 until at least 1953. The Ney brothers were great-grand nephews of the famous Marshall Ney, a General of Napoleon’s Army from 1799. The brothers had been born in America and came to Australia by the 1920s. As well as his work with G. Herring, Cornelius (1902-1967) was a clothing manufacturer and representative of fashion houses in Australia.
The company became involved in buttons around 1936-8, advertising for polishers of casein, and also for agents for button importing.
G. Herring (Australia) Pty. Ltd. 1939-1949
In 1939 a new company, G. Herring (Aust) P/L, was incorporated in New South Wales from the merging of this company and the Pearl Button Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
The new, merged company would continue to produce pearl buttons through the 1940’s. Burns Philip maintained a 50 percent interest in this firm.
Fisheries news-letter, June 1946, page 6. During WW2 G.Herring made compass dials for Commonwealth forces and buttons for the US forces.
By 1943 the company was described as a manufacturer of casein, mother-of-pearl buttons and dress accessories. The name ‘Beutron’ was first used by G. Herring for its buttons around 1946. (Interesting side note: there was a race horse named Beutron from 1941 and another around 1953. I’d guess that one or both were owned by someone to do with the company.) As the company was producing buttons from around 1939, there was approximately a 7 year period when the buttons were otherwise labelled. A brand they may have produced in this period was “Bonnie Buttons”
The photos below shows that the name Beutron was originally used by the company as a name for a type of plastic (note that the Tub Buttons were “made from Beutron. The plastic of the Future’). The buttons may be casein. Soon the trade name would apply to the buttons, instead of the plastic. The term “Tub buttons” was used in advertising from 1945-1949.
Reports of a court case in 1945 shed light on the operations of the company:
Truth (Sydney), 20th May 1945 page 14.
On the back of some 1960s cards it is stated “Beautiful Beutron Buttons were originally manufactured only in Australia.” This ignores the first ‘Beutron’ buttons to be advertised (as above) were clearly not made in Australia.
These cards, approx 12.5 x 19mm, date from the 1940s, but overlapped with the use of smaller cards into the early 1950s at least. They were variously labelled; tub buttons, wash buttons, ‘will stand boiling’, etc. Why there were so many variations to the marketing, with different names and cards is a mystery? In newspapers, the term “Tub buttons” was used in advertising from 1945-1949, and “Boiling buttons from 1937 -1954. Beutron Boiling buttons in particular were mentioned from 1946-1949, when the term ‘boil proof’ tended to be used instead.
In 1948, before Opal-Glo was advertised, G. Herring advertised ‘Irridel’. They were both marketed simultaneously during 1949, then Irridel was dropped as a brand name until being resurrected in 1957.
G. Herring (Australia) Pty. Ltd. 1949-1959
‘Opal-Glo’ was a line of iridescent buttons trademarked by G.Herring on 20th December 1948 using a combination of two American plastic formulas.
There were at that time 130 men designing and making more than one million buttons per week. The company mixed and coloured their own plastic. The powdered plastic would be poured into extruding machines to be forced under pressure into long rods of varying diameter. These rods were cut by machine into buttons then the holes drilled. After glazing and waxing the buttons would be inspected, carded, packed and distributed. The company at that time were opening their 3rd factory in and around Sydney. A small card of Opal-Glo buttons cost one shilling. By 1953 the price was one shilling and four and half pence, dropping back to one shilling three pence by 1956.
Opal-glo buttons had design numbers. (There was numbering on earlier Beutron cards, but they are not consistent, and may not have anything to do with the Opal-Glo numbering.) ‘Opal-Glo’ buttons appear on both large and smaller cards. These cards never appeared in advertising, but I presume they date from late 1940s- late 1950s.
All Purpose Buttons
From around 1949 til 1959 there were yellow carded ‘All Purpose’ buttons with matching cotton. Advertising from 1949 onwards shows the Opal-Glo buttons were sold on these.
G. Herring was not consistent with their marketing. Other (non Opal-Glo) buttons were also sold on General Purpose cards.
Along with Opal-Glo, G. Herring’s other main lines in the 1950’s included ‘Originals’, which included ‘light as a feather’ plastics, metal coated dress buttons and glass buttons. Some of these (e.g. the glass) were imported from West Germany.
The cabochon buttons are on cards with blank backs. The other glass buttons have this on the back:
Some of the glass ‘Originals’ are labelled “made expressly for Beutron in Western Germany”.
The name ‘West Germany’ was the English term for the ‘Federal Republic of Germany’ from 1950 until reunification in 1990. Before that, from 1945-49 exported buttons were labelled ‘Germany – US – zone’. Ethnic Germans involved in the Bavarian glass button industry were forced to leave the lands being ceded to Czechoslovakia. Resettling in the new West Germany they re-established from scratch (most of their equipment and moulds being left behind) a glass button and bead industry, making the country the dominant glass manufacturing area during the 1950-60s. The remnant button industry under Soviet control did not export buttons until the break up of the USSR circa 1990.
Originals were also sold on larger cards, as these metalised plastic buttons show. All three designs are seen in non-metalised versions (example given).
There were also ‘Boil-tested Whites’ (for uniforms) and cardigan buttons. The latter included backing disks to stop the button pulling through the knitting, as shown in this detail from a 1950 advert.
Boil Tested Whites
The Sunday Mail (Brisbane) on the 5th July 1953, trumpeted the ‘most sensational advances in the Australian button trade’. What was the cause of this excitement, you ask? The new Beutron press stud pearl buttons with the clip on top that could ‘be removed in seconds’ for washing or dry-cleaning.
A disastrous fire, sparked by an electrical storm on Sunday morning, the 16th November 1952, destroyed the Herring button factory, and damaged a couple of neighbouring factories. Employees living near-by rushed to help fight the fire. More arrived to protect the machinery from the heat and water, and to help clean up. The company was able to start manufacturing buttons the following week. Below is a thank-you letter from the managing director, Marshall Carl Ney, published in several newspapers.
Little more than a year later there was another fire that destroyed most of the second story of a Herring’s button factory. This time twelve had to flee, with two sustaining minor burns. The Sydney Morning Herald, on 19th January 1954, announced planned for a new factory to be built for G.Herring with an amusing title:
The Sydney Morning Herald, 19th January 1954 page 13.
For many years Beutron buttons were made in Australia, but as the company thrived and demand increased, factories would be opened overseas. In 1954 they started producing buttons in Hong Kong. In the late 1950s Australian made Beutron buttons were reportedly shipped in cardboard tubes to Japan to be sewn onto cards then re-imported for retail sale.
Details from 1958 Tariff Report
In 1958 Beutron’s new ‘Tecpearl’ buttons were marketed. These were pearl-like plastic buttons with (supposedly) the look of pearl without the inconvenience. They were still being sold in 1965. It probably marked a move away from casein to polyester plastic.
Late 1950s- early 1960s
The artwork for the button cards changed around this time. Example with boil tested and Tecpearl are shown above. Following are the new Opal-Glo cards. Note that at some stage the cards were changed again, with the cotton and the words ‘Opal-Glo” changing ends!
Yet another card style, this time without cotton, dates to the late 1950s:
A curiosity: “tub buttons” (1940s terminology) on a late 1950s style card
G. Herring (Australia) Pty. Ltd. 1960-1963
In 1962 Burns Philips sold the interest they had in the firm since 1938. The company was setting up more overseas factories.
Beutron Australia Ltd. 1963- 1970
In 1963 F.W. Williams Holding acquired a half interest in the company that was now named Beutron Australia Ltd. By that stage there were, or had been, factories in Sydney, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Japan and South Africa. Beutron branded buttons were being supplied world-wide.
Early 1960s: there were several styles of cards being used simultaneously.
“New Beutron” strip cards appeared around 1964-5. They measured approx 4.5 x 14cm. Perhaps the term new was used to indicated the change from Burns Philp to F. W. Holding as a major partner in 1963.
The marketing term “Colour matched” was used from 1962-1969, but it appears on cards around 1966 as shown by the dual prices.
A Spring/Summer catalogue of 1964/65 stated there was an assortment of 465 Tecpearl and Opal-Glo buttons, in standard and semi-fashion ranges. The fashion selection were designed by the “world’s leading stylists … New York, London, Paris, Rome”. There was a minimum order of 6 cards of each style, with free point of sale merchandising and wire fitment. There were different display units available for different size stores, a ‘reel unit’ for counter tops, a ‘moneyspinner’ with 75 hooks (ideal for small stores) and a ‘King size’ with 120 hooks.
Note that the two different styles of cards below were being used simultaneously in 1964:
Summary of business during the 1960s
1962 Burns Philips sold the interest they had in the firm since 1938.
1963 F.W. Williams Holdings Ltd bought a 50 percent interest in Beutron Australia and made a cash offer for General Plastics.
1965 F.W.Williams returned no dividend from Beutron.
1966 F.W. Williams made losses from Beutron and other holdings.
1968 Pioneer Concrete took over over F.W.Williams. They then owned 50 percent of Beutron (Aust) Ltd. Marshall Ney was still a director, and his son David Marshall Ney (1927-2018) General Manager.
1969 Pioneer Concrete sold its interest in Beutron “for a substantial cash profit’.
Late 1960s – 1970s:
Note that on some of these cards the name Beutron appears in cursive script, and some use block letters. The latter date from July 1970, the former 1968-1970.
Mid 1970s onwards
Beutron cards went through multiple incarnations with only the pricing and then the appearance of bar codes to give an approximate dating. Some cards were marked “packed in Australian by Beutron”. Some are marked made in Thailand.
In 2001 J. Leutenegger (a large craft firm that was started in 1891 in Brisbane by a Swiss immigrant, Jacques Leutenegger) acquired Beutron.
Plain 9 x 5.5 cm card; price 75 cents
Plain 8 x 4.5 cm card; price 95 cents and above
JHB released the Peter Rabbit series of buttons under licence in 1977 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the publishing of the first of Beatrix Potter”s books in 1902. Hunca Munca and Jemima Puddle Duck were two of these. The other two were Peter Rabbit and Miss Moppet. JHB went to the effort source a company (in Japan) capable of faithfully reproduce the effect of the original water colours. Over the next 11 years, more were released. Beutron must have sold these buttons under licence from JHB.
Plain 8 x 5 cm card with indented edges; price $1.00
Small 8 x 4.5 cm card with gold top, rounded corners ; prices $1.65-2.10
Small 8 x 4.5 cm card with gold edging; bar code on back/no price
Plain cards 9 x 6sm with rounded corners, bar code on back; prices $2.45-3.35
Beutron packaged and/or made buttons for other companies/stores such as these: Kmart, Target and Butterick, probably from post 1967, as there are no dual prices.
Sample Cards, Display and Packaging
A handy box for tailors:
The drawers below belong to Marian.
Display Cards 1960s
Display Cards 1970s
For the individual pages see http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/uncategorized/16th-august-2020/
For close ups of the pages see http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/uncategorized/7th-august-2020/
From South Africa
The ‘Beutron’ button is modern in the feel of its plastic (not casein; maybe nylon?) and the moulding marks. Interestingly, the shank it not typical of Beutron buttons. It has the shape typical of Beauclaire buttons. Perhaps this dates the button to the period of the merger, 1957-1963?