See also the entry for Australian National Airways.
Reg Ansett started Ansett Roadways with one car in December 1931. He ran it until 1935 then set up Ansett Airways.
Reg Ansett registered ‘Ansett Airways’ in January 1936 . From a single Fokker airplane the business grew. The logo of a double A (for Ansett Airways) with a pair of wings dates from around 1946 through to the takeover of ANA in 1957.
Australian National Airways
A.N.A was registered in 1936 from the joining of Holyman’s and Adelaide Airways. It soon absorbed West Australian Airways. In 1937 it obtained a controlling interest in Airlines of Australia (AoA). The company’s DC-3 aircraft were requisitioned by the Government during the war and it provided services around Australia for the war effort, including for American forces. After the war it faced competition from Trans Australian Airways (TAA), the state run airline that would ultimately lead to the company’s decline. It was floated as a public company in 1949. ANA was sold to Ansett in 1957 forming Ansett-ANA, which was renamed Ansett Airlines of Australia in 1968.
See also the entry for Australian National Airways.
The Holymans were a shipping family in Tasmania. Victor Holyman flew with the British Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force during WW1. It was because of him that the family branched out into flying. In September 1932 Holyman Bros, Pty. Ltd. commenced services between Launceston and Flinders Island in their new De Haviland Fox Moth 4-seater plane, ‘Miss Currie’. They almost immediately merged with Mr Laurie M. Johnson, who had pioneered this service in his Desoutter monoplane, ‘Miss Flinders’. In October they formed a new company, Tasmanian Aerial Services Pty. Ltd. Routes soon included Smithton, King Island, and by September 1933, Melbourne.
The Holymans bought out Laurie Johnson and launched a new airline, Holyman Airways Pty. Ltd. on 1st October 1934. Sadly, Victor and ten others were lost in a flight over Bass Strait on 19th October 1934. His brother Ivan took lead of the airline. Their brother Dare Holyman was also in the airline.
The first air hostesses in Australia were introduced by Holyman’s Airways in March 1936. “They will probably wear the Holyman Airways uniform, which is navy blue with brass buttons and white cap.” (The Argus, 12th March 1936 page 3). Victor’s widow Hazel was in charge of their training for many years. In May , Holyman’s and Adelaide Airways were merged to form a new company, Australian National Airways Pty. Ltd. West Australian Airways was sold to Adelaide Airways in July and so also became part of the new airline. A.N.A. formally began operation on the 1st August. This name recalled the pioneering Bass Strait service of the same name run by Kingsford-Smith and Ulm in 1931, which ran for 6 months only.
In 1939 the 17 year old nephew of Ivan, Maxwell Holyman, was granted his commercial pilot’s licence, and also joined A.N.A. The airline gained a controlling interest in ‘Airlines of Australia’ in 1937 which extended the company’s reach into Queensland, although A.O.A. maintained a public identity until 1942.
Qantas Empire Airways
In 1934 Qantas and Imperial Airways ( a forerunner of British Airways) formed Qantas Empire Airways Limited (QEA as seen on the button). The first services were between Brisbane and Darwin, extending to Singapore in 1935. Most of the fleet were used for war service during WW2. Post war, services were extended to Britain. The airline was nationalised in 1947 with domestic services transferred to Trans Australian Airlines and Qantas providing international services. The name changed in 1967 to Qantas Airways Limited. (NB Stokes & sons changed to Stokes Australia in 1962), so the two QAE buttons date 1934-1962.
Amalgamated Wireless Australasia Limited
In 1913 Amalgamated Wireless Australasia Limited was formed from the previous Australiasian Wireless Limited (AWL) which had started in 1909. They were an electronics and broadcasting company located in Sydney. In 1918 the first radio broadcast from the UK to Australia was received by AWA of Prime Minister Billy Hughes praising the troops he was inspecting at the Western Front. In 1930 the first newsreel from Sydney to London was transmitted.
Athenaeum Club, Melbourne
The Athenaeum Club was founded in May 1868, making it the second oldest in Melbourne, as a meeting place for ‘the purpose of providing a suitable place of resort for gentlemen belonging to the various professions, the civil service, and those connected with trade and commerce, who are recognised as having literary, artistic, or scientific tastes, or who may be otherwise considered eligible as members of such an association”. The club was joined by men who shared scientific and literary interests . There were evenings devoted to music, literature and science. It was first owned by entrepreneur J.G. Knight. The club’s earliest house was at 26-28 Collins Street East, the second, from 1891, at 290-292 Collins Street.
The third and present site, from 1930, is at 83-87 Collins Street. The new building included a swimming pool, squash courts, hairdressing salon, gymnasium and masseurs room, billiard room, card rooms, bars, dining rooms and accommodation. The top floor was for servants quarters. Presumably it was these servants who wore uniforms with these buttons.
The new building, for the first time, included a dining room where members could invite their wives and women friends. Up til then, women were not allowed to enter the club. However, there was no intention of allowing them to be members.The Athenaeum ceased to be a proprietary club when the Moorhead family sold it to its members in 1918. It is now composed mainly of professional and business people. It is still a ‘gentlemen’s only club. If they are truly ‘gentlemen’, it is time they did something about that. It is also hypercritical, in that it is named after Athena, goddess of wisdom, who’s image appears on the building and button. She couldn’t be a member!
From the Facebook page.
Bank of New South Wales
This was the first bank in Australia, established in Sydney in 1817.
It opened branches around Australia and New Zealand in the 19th century, then expanded into Oceania in the 20th century.
I am not sure when the above button dates from. I have not found mention of uniforms for men until 1982. Men seem to have worn suits to work. The first female uniforms were called ‘overalls’, but were more like dress coats. In 1934 brown dresses with yellow stripes on collar, cuffs and pockets were introduced. By 1956 the striped had disappeared.
In 1960 new female bank workers got taught deportment, fashion, etiquette and make-up as well as banking. I wonder if the males did too? No?
It was renamed Westpac in 1982. New uniforms were ordered but but slacks were not allowed for women!
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Founded in December 1911 by the Government with the first branch opening in Melbourne on 15th July 1912. It was the first Australian bank to have a federal guarantee. it was list on the stock exchange in 1991 and fully privatised by 1996.
The first insignia, from 1921 to the 1950s was the Australian Coat of Arms. For a short period during the 1950s light and dark blue entwined CBA letters were used. In 1960 the bank was formed into the Commonwealth Banking Corporation, with a new logo. The three rings represent the three parts of the corporation; the Savings, Trading and Development banks. The original version included the seven-point star and the words ‘Commonwealth Banking Corporation. The version without the star and wording dates from 1984-1991, then the yellow and black diamond was introduced.
State Bank of South Australia
The bank was formed in 1984 by the merger of the State Bank of South Australia and the Savings Bank of South Australia. After problems with its loan portfolio, the bank collapsed in 1991, with a Royal Commssion held into the collapse. A portion of the bank was sold to Advance Bank, which was in turn purchased by St George Bank, then merged with Westpac. That portion is known as BankSA.
Crown Melbourne Opened in Melbourne’s Southbank in 1997 after operating from a temporary location on the Northbank since 1994. It is a resort with three hotels, a casino, restaurants and entertainment.
Adelaide Steamship Company
According to Wikipedia, it was formed as a cargo and passenger company between Melbourne and Adelaide in 1875. In the 1930-40s it diversified, including the formation of Adelaide Airways in 1935, which was one of the founding airlines that merged to form Australian National Airways (ANA) in 1936. The company was liquidated in 1997.
The company commenced as the Hunter River Navigation Company in 1839, renaming in 1851. This company merged around 1886 with the Queensland Steam Shipping Company to for the Australasian United Steam Navigation Company Limited.
This shipping company was formed in 1887 from the merger of two other companies, and lasted until 1961.
In 1940 one of their ships ran aground near Barwon heads during a storm and caught fire. A newspaper reported that ” the bursting of an oil pipe in the Orungal fortuitously spread a calming film of oil over the sea and made it possible to bring the lifeboat alongside to pick up the first load of 17 passengers and 23 seamen.”
Australian Steamships Line
The Australian Steamship line was managed by Howard Smith Ltd, (see http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/uniform-buttons-2/companies-and-clubs-including-merchantile-marine/ ) from around January 1913-1938 to cruise Australian coastal waters.
The company started as the Anglo-Persian Oil Company in the year after oil was found in Persia after a mammoth 7 year effort. British Petroleum was actually a German firm (so named for marketing purposes) whose assets were ceased by the British Government during WW1 and sold to Anglo-Persian, later Anglo-Iranian, in 1917. The company’s name changed again to The British Petroleum Company in 1954.
The Australian Government formed a joint venture with Anglo-Persian Oil to construct our first refinery at Laverton, Victoria in 1924, which sold fuel under the C.O.R. brand BP bought the Commonwealth’s share of the refinery but did not change the branding until 1959.
Canadian-Australian Steamship Company
James Huddart owned two ships which he traded separately from Huddart Parker & Co under the name New Zealand & Australian Steam Navigation Co. from 1892.
The name was changed in 1893 to the Canadian Australian Steamship Co to focus on trans-pacific services to Vancouver then on to England. In 1896 it was renamed the Canadian-Australian Royal Mail Steam Ship Company. It was taken over by the New Zealand Shipping company, which in turn was in turn absorbed into Union Steam Ship Company by 1910.
Commonwealth Oil Refinery
From Wikipedia: The Commonwealth Oil Refineries ran between 1920-1952 as a joint venture by the Australian government and the Anglo-Persian Oil company. Billy Hughes initiated the partnership. In 1924 the first Australian refinery opened near Laverton. The Menzies government sold their interest in 1952 to the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, which in 1954 become the British Petroleum Company (BP). The brand COR was continued until 1959.
Eastern & Australian Steam Ship Co (E & A)
Originally established in 1873 as the Eastern & Australian Mail Steamship Co. to carry mail between Australia and Asia. When the mail contract was not renewed in 1880, a new company was formed; the Eastern & Australian Steamship Co. Ltd. It was taken over by P&O chairman Lord Inchape in 1918 but continued to run its passenger/cargo liners separately until 1946 when the shares were owned by several P&O subsidiaries. In 1966 it became part of P&O.
Howard Smith Limited
According to the Australian National Maritime Museum:
“Howard Smith Limited was established in 1854 by Captain William Howard Smith, who began transporting both people and supplies to the goldfields. Originally founded as William Howard Smith and Sons Pty Ltd, the company became Howard Smith Company Ltd in 1901 and in 1914 changed to Howard Smith Limited. The company has interests in distribution of hardware, towage and safety. According to ‘deListed’ website, Howard Smith Limited was delisted from the Australian Stock Exchange on 17 October 2001 because it was taken over (compulsory) by Wesfarmers Retail Pty Ltd.”
Huddart Parker Ltd
Started in Geelong in 1876 by James Huddart, Thomas J. Parker, and others as Huddart, Parker & Co. P/L. It moved to Melbourne in 1890.
It traded the main intercolonial routes as well as to New Zealand with fierce rivalry occurring with other shipping lines. It became a public company in 1911. The firm was taken over in 1961 by Bitumen and Oil Refineries Australia Ltd.
James Patrick & Co. Ltd.
Founded by James Patrick in 1919 as the Patrick Steamship Company, becoming James Patrick & Co Ltd by 1925 and operating ships until 1962.
Melbourne Steamship Company Ltd
In 1884 the Melbourne Coal, Shipping and Engineering Co Ltd became the Melbourne Shipping Co.Lts then in 1895 the Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd. They opened branches in Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide and Newcastle. In 1961 the firm was taken over by Howard Smith Ltd.
NB: There was an earlier similarly named Melbourne Steam Ship Company 1864-1883.
The Newcastle & Hunter River Steamship Company Ltd
In 1892 this company was formed from the amalgamation of the Newcastle Steamship and the Hunter River Steam Navigation companies. It operated until 1956. It was delisted and became the Southern Shipping Company Limited in 1965. For detailed information and pictures of the fleet see https://www.flotilla-australia.com/nhrsn.htm
By 1904 they provided services between Sydney, Newcastle, Morpeth, Raymond terrace, Miller’s Forest, Paterson and Clarencetown. By 1914 they also serviced Bulahdelah and Port Stephens. The advent of rail and road transport lead to the demise of the company.
Royal Dutch Shell Group
In 1833 Marcus Samuel started selling shells imported from the far-east from his antiques business. This was the start of the Samuel family’s import/export future. In 1892 they arranged for a bulk steamer to ship oil from Baku to the United Kingdom through the Suez canal for the first time. In 1903 ‘The Shell transport and Trading Company’ started to merge with the Royal Dutch petroleum Company. By 1907 they had became Royal Dutch Shell group.
In 1904, the scallop shell (or pecten) had replaced Shell Transport’s first marketing logo, a mussel shell.
Shell started shipping bulk fuel to Australia in 1901. In 1905 Shell and Royal Dutch established the ‘British Imperial Oil Company’ in Australia. Over the years they expanded into storage, distribution, refining and service stations.
In an 1925 newspaper article boasted of the companies policy of “… preference for Australian workers and Australian products …. The Shell Company here is proud of the fact that everything, from its Motor Spirit to its back-country Depots is All-British, and most of it All-Australian. It is the Spirit of the Flag.” So while I can’t find a reference to when the uniform button was produced, it could have been as early as this era.
Note there is some possiblity this is another company, as according to heraldic rules, the button shows a white cross on a red background, rather than the reverse.
The company was established in Hobart in 1853. it provided shipping between Tasmania and the mainland, then later to New Zealand. It was bought out in 1891, but traded under this name until 1922.
Union Steam Ship Co
Formed in Dunedin in 1875 by James Mills from the Harbour Steam company of his deceased boss. With a growing fleet of modern ships, and by taking over smaller concerns, the firm grew. By 1877 it started trading between New Zealand and Australia, and by further acquisitions, including the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co., came to dominate the trans-Tasman and Bass Strait trade. It extended to Pacific, transpacific, Asian routes and to Britain. In 1917 Mills sold the line to P&O. This turned out very well for P&O as they secretly over many years, pulled profits out of the firm to prop up less profitable parts of its business.
In 1971 P&O sold Union off to a consortium including Thomas Nationwide Transport (TNT). Its services were reduced to concentrate on Tasman trade, reducing the company’s scope, then competition would further reduce profitability. Sadly, the once extensive and profitable firm ceased trading in 2000, after 125 years.
Metropolitan Abattior Board, Adelaide
After long years of strenuous fighting and planning those whose brains conceived the idea of municipal abattoirs to control the meat supply of this city reaped their reward today, when what might be termed the city’s great meat shop was officially declared opened. The days of the old cattle market on North Terrace … have gone forever.”
The abattoirs had 17 ‘motor lorries’ to deliver meat to Adelaide and suburbs and the drivers were provided with uniforms. Perhaps the button is from one such uniform.
Metropolitan Security Services (MSS)
In 1956 M.S.S. started supplying security guards to various work places, initially to the upset of various unions that believed the security guards were armed thugs spying on the workers. In 1970 M.S.S. (ACT) was taken over by Mayne Nickless Limited. It was part of Mayne Nickless until 1992, when company sold of its security and transport interests. Both M.S.S. and the Australian Watching Company (later Wormald Security) were bought by Chubb Security. After 20 years Chubb sold off the security services.
On its webpage of the current version of M.S.S the company tries to claim it traces back to 1896 (Chubb does) which is a little rich, as they were only owned by Chubb from the 1990s for twenty years. It is owned by SIS (Security and Intelligence Services).
All this is confusing, but there have been multiple mergers and demergers in the security industry.
NASA was a private training school for pilots, based on the methods of the Empire Air training School in Canada in February 1967. It was named in jest after the “other” N.A.S.A. and an acronym was made up to suit; Nation wide Aviation Space Academy. It was renamed the Civil Aviation Training Academy (C.A.T.A) in the late 1970s and closed in the 1980s.
According to the site http://www.emelbourne.net.au/
“Formed in 1881 as a meeting place for officers, the Naval and Military Club is reputedly the oldest service club in Australia with a continuous history. First known as the Pipeclay Club … It moved quarters many times before acquiring 7 Alfred Place (the former German Club) in 1920. By then, as a result of World War I, its membership had greatly increased. In 1967 it moved to a new clubhouse at 27 Little Collins Street.
In its first years it held lectures on military topics but this activity was taken over by the United Services Institution after 1889. Distinguished presidents include General Sir John Monash and Field Marshal Sir Thomas Blamey. Membership was extended to civilians after long years of peace, and to women in 1992.”
Yellow Cab Company
In early 1924 Mr Pearson William Tewksbury proposed to introduce to Australia the “Chicago Yellow” cab. He had already been involved several other taxi companies, the City Motor Service Ltd. (from 1911) and the Royal Blue Motor Service Pty. Ltd. (from 1921) in Melbourne, and the de Luxe in Sydney. This company, ‘The Yellow Cabs of Australia Limited ‘, was the first in Australia to run meter-operated cabs, and did not to charge the customer for the return journey when the cab was empty! This was achieve by locating various depots in the suburbs so the taxi could wait at the nearest location rather than return to the city.