I have been contacted by a couple of detectorists who have found tailors’ buttons. Unfortunately one has not replied (yet) with a picture!
Clark & Treleaven, Brisbane
This drapery partnership lasted only from 1873 until 1979. Both William Clark and William Treleaven would continue with other partners, and alone.
Hagen Bros., Sydney
Born in Tasmania, brothers Frederick Henry (1857-1888) and William Albertus Hagen (1861 -1941) set up Hagon Bros, merchant tailors, in 1882, operating at first from Pitt Street, then from 1885 also in Oxford Street, with agencies in the country. From March 1886, William operated alone (still under the name Hagon Bros). Fred took a nine month trip to “the old country”, then returned in 1887 to operate a new enterprise in King Street. Sadly, under the influence of business and gambling losses as well as heavy drinking, he committed suicide the following year. Another brother, Tasman John Hagon (1863-1943) had an interest in the Oxford St branch from after 1887 until 1894 when another brother, Edward Arthur Hagon (1854-1931) bought an interest in the business. William retired in 1907, with Edward continuing under the name of Hagon brothers in Oxford Street, but a Mr Barnett Phillips operating the business at Pitt Street under the same name, having bought the rights from William. This was the subject of a court case in 1911, with an undisclosed settlement reached. However, both the Pitt Street and Oxford Street stores continued to trade under similar names with the involvement of various brothers. It appears William, despite having retired, must have rejoined the firm, (at least as a business partner), as he was reportedly leaving the “Hagon Bros” partnership held with his brother Edward in 1917, then in 1921 the Pitt Street business was wound up. The Oxford St branch continued with Edward and Tasman until 1927, then Edward retired.
In 1954, Mr Clement Ronald Scott, a partner in the firm died. This is probably when the firm closed.
Yet another brother, Richard Charles Hagon, was a tailor, but ran his own firm under the name R.C. Hagon from 1880, merging with Vereys in 1954. This was not part of Hagan Bros. In the Bulletin, 22nd December 1894 the separate businesses can be seen advertising side-by-side on page 16.
For all comments or questions, please use the contact page.