The Post Master General’s Department was established in 1902 to amalgamate the various colonial postal services. These Post Office Victoria buttons date up to the year of Queen Victoria’s death in 1901.
This button, by Stokes & Sons, Melbourne is marked General Post Office. It dates from 1894-1901. The General Post Office is located on the corner of Elizabeth and Bourke Streets, although it was leased to developers in 2001. The first permanent post office building on the site dates from 1841 with the current grand building built from 1861-67, with extensions in 1887 and 1906-7.