30th September 2020

Tasmanian Volunteer & Permanent Artillery.

Backmark: C. Pitt & Co 50 St Martins Lane London Charles Pitt & Co operated from 50 Martins Lane from 1875-1895.

 According to Cossum, this button dates from 1884-1901. Whilst volunteer artillery units existed from 1859, the Permanent Artillery was raised on 10th September 1886, so they cannot date from 1884.

Tasmanian Punch, 26th February 1870 page 6.

 

Libraries Tasmania SD_ILS:647740.
Major Crowther of the Southern Tasmanian Volunteer Artillery. 1890.

https://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/V/Volunteer%20defence.htm