Here we showcase tailoring buttons, from the individual to large emporiums.
The buttons are listed alphabetically as the names were printed onto the buttons.
A. Baxter, Colac
Andrew Baxter (1883-1933) was born in Galashiels, Scotland. From around 1913-1916 he worked in Geelong, then from around 1921 until his death, in Colac.
A. Boswarrick, Melbourne
Arthur Boswarrick, originally from Ballarat, (1867-1944) was a tailor in Sale, Victoria, in partnership with Mr Herbert Phillips. They ended their partnership in 1889, with Arthur continuing alone. Unfortunately the business failed the following year. He moved to Melbourne by 1891 and by 1893 he was advertising for employees for his “Eclipse Tailoring Company” in Sydney Road, Brunswick. He was involved in the local council and also local sporting clubs. His first wife died in 1904 and his second wife in 1909, only days after giving birth. How sad.
A. Bowley & Company, Melbourne
As a naval and military uniform outfitter in Flinders Lane, Melbourne, they were importing items such as buttons from London from before federation. The company continued to at least 1956. Alfred Bowley had died in 1945.
Andrew Charles “Charlie” Cunningham was born in 1872 in Adelaide. From around 1983-1897 he was part of the partnership of “Jacobs & Cunningham” in Broken Hills, before continuing alone. He died suddenly in 1936 at the age of 64 years.
Adelaide Tailoring Company Ltd., Melbourne
In 1897 Joseph Lewis Glick, a Russian by birth, came to Australia to visit his sick sister, and decided to stay. He started the Adelaide Tailoring Company in Adelaide. In 1904 he expanded to Perth and Freemantle then to other sites in West Australia. In 1915 he opened in ‘Elizabeth House’ at the corner of Elizabeth and little Collins Streets.
A. E. Barber, Coburg
Albert Ernest Barber (1891-2973) moved his business to 438 Sydney Road, Coburg in 1935. By 1942 he had moved down the road to 694 Sydney Road, Brunswick.
A. E. Barlow, Parade, Norwood
Arthur Edgar Barlow (1878-1957) ran “The Norwood House For Men’s Wear” from c.1915-1943 in the Parade, Norwood.
A. E. Spicer, North Fitzroy
Albert Edward Spicer lived from 1882 til 1951. He worked from 556 Nicholson Street from at least 1920 until 1949.
A. E. Unkles, Port Fairy
A. F. Cleary & Son, Sydney
A. G. Adams, Melbourne
Alfred George Adams (1849-1921) split from partnership with Isaac Bowley in 1903. From 1904-1912 he advertised his tailoring business as ‘A. G. Adams” at 13 Block Arcade, Melbourne.
A. G. Parker, Adelaide
Alfred George Parker headed this business from 1921 to around 1950. He was also involved in a miniature railways company and a concrete company.
A. J. Cosson, Coolgardie
Arthur James Cosson was born in Surrey, England in 1867. He arrived in Melbourne by 1894, as he married then, and worked as a tailor at the corner of Swanston and Lygon Streets. In 1897, lured perhaps by the large gold nugget found that year, he moved to Bonnievale, just out of Coolgardie. His business, Cosson & Co operated until 1905, when it was bought by Mackenzie & Dunstan (see below). He presumably then worked by himself before moving to Freemantle in 1910, then Perth in 1937. He was still listed as a tailor’s cutter in the year he died, 1958, in his 91st year!
A. J. Dangerfield, Broken Hill
His business was located in Oxide street from 1917. In December of 1935 he was in a car accident, which lead him to leave tailoring. He became the proprietor of Broken Hill Motors. Albert Joseph Dangerfield lived in Broken Hill from 1896 until 1947 when he moved to Sydney.
Alf. C. White, Ballarat
Wouldn’t you be annoyed if you name was Alfred Ernest White (1867-1928), but your buttons were incorrectly inscribed? I Hope he got a discount!
His tailoring shop was located at 112 Sturt Street from 1898 when he renamed his father’s previous business ( T. W. White & Co.) until 1903. After this he was a cutter for John Snow & Company for 10 years before opening a new establishment at 102 Sturt Street. In 1919 he was elected as a local councillor. he was involved in the YMCA, the church, bowls and cricket.
Alston & Brown, Melbourne
Mr Alston was born in Glasgow and came to Melbourne in 1852. In 1857, due to the retirement of his previous partner, Thomas Alston went into partnership with William White Brown selling clothing and drapery. They became known as very fashionable, high class drapers in Collins Street until they closed the business in 1888. Mr Alston was to become a director of various companies and public institutions and a J.P. He died on Christmas Day,1907.
The article below was published in the Australasian (Melbourne), 12th July, 1884 page 7.
A. M. Pool, Bendigo
In January 1892 Alfred Morris Pool (1857-1930) and Joseph Thomas Williams started their business in the premises previously occupied by the “London and American Clothing Company” in Mitchell Street, Sandhurst (later Bendigo). In February 1894, Williams left to go to Sydney, whilst Pool continued under the name “A. M. Pool” until at least 1922. He retired to Caulfield, Melbourne.
Andrews & Son, North Melbourne
This concern advertised from 1895-1914 at 226 Victoria Street, North Melbourne.
A. N. Lovick, Adelaide
Allan Andrew Nesbit Lovick was born in Banbury, England in 1880 and died in Adelaide in 1944. Mr Lovick worked for S. Ingersons before leaving to start his own firm in 1925 in King William Street then Currie Street through to around 1938.
Archer & Cottrell, Richmond
From around 1911 Denis Cottrell and John Harry Archer advertised as high-class tailors in Swan Street, Richmond. Sadly, in 1912 at the age of only 26 years, Denis died in hospital. Archer continued under the name of ‘Archer & Cottrell” until 1914, then continued as ‘Archer’s’ until around 1937, two years before his death in 1939. He had been a former treasurer and president of Richmond football club, and a life member.
A. Richardson, Mildura
Archie William Richardson was a bit of a gypsy. Born in Maryborough, Victoria, in 1888, he worked in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney before he set up in Langtree Avenue, Mildura from 1919 to 1927. After an unknown period of time he returned to Melbourne, where he died in 1973.
Arthur L. Atterton, Adelaide
In 1918 Arthur Laurence Atterton (1893-1959) took over as manager of the Quality Tailors at the corner of Pirie Street and Gawler Place. Two years later he bought the firm.
In 1931 he opened a second store at Bowman Arcade, closing the original store two years later.
A.S. Austen, Melbourne
William George Ashman (1870-1944) started as a tailor in High Street, Eaglehawk circa 1891. In 1908 he admitted into partnership his brother, Arthur Thomas Ashman, as “Ashman Bros. tailors, hatters and mercers”, but by 1915 the partnership was dissolved. William continued as W.G. Ashman “The Northern District Tailors” and Arthur moved to Bacchus Marsh to run his own business, although he moved back to Eaglehawk in 1918.
In 1936 William registered a new company of Ashman (William George) and Sons Pty. Ltd. with his sons William Basil, Eric Raglus, John Osbourne and Charles Kenneth. This business was in liquidation in 2007.
Ben Cohen, Melbourne
Benjamin Cohen (1853-1935), tailor and outfitter, operated from 252 Collins Street from around 1902, then the Flinders Building in Flinders Street from around 1911. In 1920 he was listed in the Eastern Arcade. The Eastern Arcade no longer exists, but ran from Lt Collins Street to Bourke Street in between Russell and Exhibition Streets. In 1922 a Ben Cohen was arrested for running an illegal betting house in the Eastern Arcade, so presumably in was the same man.
Bert Saunders, Northcote
Albert (Bert) Edward Saunders took over his fathers business on his death in 1915. He was still advertising in 1943.
Bidencopes Ltd., Hobart
Joseph Bidencope, tailor and mercer, advertised for tailors to work for him as early as 1861. He was born in Poland and moved to Hobart in 1858. The business was a successful fashion house, as well as supplying naval and military uniforms. They became well known for their hats. Two sons would join the business. He was still working when he died in 1915, aged nearly eighty years. His grandsons would sell the business in 1977.
This firm was family run from 1880-at least 1950.
In 1966 (seven years after Mr. Blainey’s death) the firm was in financial difficulty, and by 1973 it was deregistered.
Bond Street Company, Adelaide
This was a company of tailors and shirt makers from around 1884 until the closed in 1890. They had until 1890 been located at Gawler Place, but that year relocated to King William Street. Therefore, despite the fact that there is a Bond Street in Adelaide, the name must reference the fashionable Bond Street of London, which is described thus in Wikipedia: “During the 19th century, Bond Street became less known for its social atmosphere but increased its reputation as a street for luxury shopping.”
Bowley & Co. Melbourne
See A. Bowley above
B. Phillips, Pitt Street only
See Phillips, Pitt Street only
Bright & Hitchcock, Geelong
William Hitchcock (1811-1867) emigrated from Devonshire, England, to Geelong with his sons George Michelmore (1831-1912) and Walter Michelmore Hitchcock (1833-1923). They started a drapery business , Hitchcock Brothers & Co., between 1850-52. They went into partnership in 1853 with William Bright (1803-1875) under the name Wm. Bright & Co.
After Bright retired around 1857 they changed the name to Bright & Hitchcock. The company was listed in 1950. It was sold and re-sold in 1959, 1968, 1969 and 1976 then closed in 1979. Since that the building has been subdivided into smaller shops.
Burkby and Waggen, Sale
Frederick James Burby and his son-in-law, Vincent St.Clair Wagglen, took over a tailoring business in Sale in 1923.
Less than 18 months later they dissolved the partnership, with Mr Wagglen continuing alone. There must be a sad tale underlying this, as he only kept the business going for another two years before starting again in Sunshine. This business in turn only lasted for around 3 years. In the following years he was separated from his wife then in 1941 he died at the young age of 50 years.
C. A. Jago, South Melbourne
Charles Arthur Jago (1893-1955), in partnership with his uncle, Holmes Gillman Jago, were merchant tailors in Bank Street. His uncle retired in 1927.
Capon & Montgomerie, Melbourne
In 1902 Messers Capon and Montgomerie were delighted to announce their new tailoring store in Collins St. Walter William store has previously managed the Mutal Store.
Norman Leslie Mongomerie, supposedly the best dressed man in Melbourne, died in 1926 aged 55 years. After this the business was sold to Walter Arnold Walker who continued trading under the Capon & Montgomerie name, but had to sell everything to pay his creditors in 1927. After his partner’s death Mr Capon continued as an outfitter until his retirement. He lived in Camberwell and died in 1941.
C. Anderson, Sydney
Charles Anderson was born in 1838. He came to Australia from Scotland about 1880 with his wife Mary-Jane. He established a large hat factory on the corner of Nicholls and Albion Streets, Surry Hills, next to his home, Durham Hall. The business had it’s beginning a decade pre- federation importing hats and was initially called the ‘New Federal Hat Mills of Sydney’. From as early as 1895 he was described as a “military tailor”. The company was registered as ‘Charles Anderson and Company Limited’ in 1903 and was called ‘Anderson’s Industries Limited’, by the time of his death in 1924. They supplied uniforms, trimming and buttons for the armed forces and police. Examples, like the above one, are found in the Powerhouse Museum and Australian War Memorial collections. Here is an exert from N.S.W. tenders showing orders for buttons from the company in 1910.
Chapman & Rogers, Adelaide
His son, George W. Chapman, was also a sportsman, with a love of baseball.
Chas. Jones & Co, Brisbane
This company of drapers first advertised in 1878. They were located in the Kingsford’s Buildings, Queens Street, Brisbane. In 1890 the ‘bankrupt stock’ of the firm was being sold.
Mr Jones was Charles Henry Jones, born in 1848 in New South Wales. He moved to Brisbane in 1873 and stayed there until perhaps the time of the bankruptcy in 1890, before moving back to Sydney where he died in 1898, aged only 50 years.
Chas. Lane & Co, Melbourne
Charles Lane ran a high class tailor’s in Flinders Street from 1902 until the business was absorbed into the business of a neighbouring tailor’s in 1929.
C. Hemsley, Sydney
Charles Richard Hemsley (1839-1926) was an importer of ‘Men’s Mercery’ in partnership with John Gard as ‘Gard and Hemsley’ from 1869-1971. He continued the business own his own at 390 George Street, Sydney and advertised as supplying uniforms. In 1880 the business was bought by Gowing Brothers. the business continued under the name of ‘C. Hemsley’ until 1895 at 43 Erskine Street.
From their webpage https://www.christies.net.au/
“Our firm was established in 1895 in Sydney, and were one of the first tenants in the Strand Arcade. Over the years we have moved about within the city, and currently sell from our city store at 276 Pitt St as well as manufacturing and wholesaling from our factory/office at Marrickville.”
William Christie started his business as a specialist umbrella maker. His father had come to Melbourne from Scotland when William was young although he later moved to Sydney. The business also sold ladies wear, Scottish dress and accessories as well as military dress accessories and flags.
Christison & Burnett, Brisbane
Burnett was probably Harold Stephen Burnett (1896-1978) who was president of the Master Tailors’ Association. Christison may have been David (1861-1946) or his son John William Christison (b. 1889).
C. H. Shakeshaft, Kapunda:
The first advert for Cornelius Henderson Shakeshaft (1860-1952) appeared in the Kapunda Herald. His son Sydney took over when his father retired in 1926.
C. J. Lane, Melbourne
Charles James Lane (1869-1925) advertised at Flinders Lane in 1888. From 1892-1896 he was the manager of the Woollen department of the Mutal Stores. In 1896 he purchased a mercery and tailoring business at 230 Collins Street where he operated until moving to the corner of Elizabeth Street and Flinders Lane around 1917. Around 1921 he may have sold the business (which was still advertising in 1933) and became a wool broker and importer. He was heavily overdrawn to his bank in 1921-2. In 1924 he sued his bank for damages for erroneously dishonouring a promissory note. Although he was awarded 1000 ponds, perhaps the previous years of stress had taken their toll, for he died the next year, aged only 56 years.
C. K. Moore, Sydney
Charles Kelso Moore (1834-1894) was an Irishman and merchant who lived in Sydney from 1859 onwards. His business supplied tenders for the public service and Post Office. He was very involved in public life, running as Major for Waverley, as well as being involved in the New South Wales Rifle Brigade and the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron.
Clayton and Croucher, South Melbourne
Edwin Clayton and Mr Croucher were tailors/clothing manufacturers operating from the corner of Dorcas and Clarendon Streets, South Melbourne, in about 1925-27.
C. Ledlin, Bathurst
Charles Christopher Ledlin was a cutter for E.J. and D. Curran for 10 years before leaving to work on his own at 119 George Street in Bathurst. He was also a hotel owner. He died in 1947 at the age of 78 years.
Clifford & Fulton, Bendigo
This partnership lasted from around 1931 until 1938, at Bath Corner, Bendigo. Charleville (named after his birth place in Queensland) Clifford (1897-1955) was a draper and mercer. He was bankrupt in 1940. I cannot work out who “Fulton” was, as no draper or tailor was listed by that name in the electoral rolls.
See M. Colgan.
Cook, Son & Co. Ltd, Hindley Street Adelaide
John Cook (1868-1948) was associated with the firm of ‘James Marshall & Co’ for 27 years, then was in the partnership of ‘Threlfall & Cook’. In 1914 ‘Cook, Son & Company Limited’ started. John Cook bought the business of Mr Harry Stephen Thwaites in Hindley Street and opened a “up-to-date tailoring, mercery, and clothing store”, renamed Cook, Son & Co. He ran it with his son, Filmer Wesley Cook, and partners William John Gilmour and Ralph Dillon Radford. They had an extensive mail order service.
Cox & Lett, Parkes
This was a (self proclaimed) enterprising and popular ladies clothing, mercery and tailoring business from circa 1914.. The partners were Milton Carl Cox and Harold Watson Lett. Their premises was called “The Red House” in 1917-18.
In 1922 the partnership was dissolved, and Harold
Lett moved to Cessnock. He would be awarded an OBE in 1958 for his “support of civil, charitable, educational and sporting activites”.
On April 3rd, 1934, Milton Cox, a wealthy businessman now living in Bexley with 2 sons and a newborn daughter, went missing. His abandoned car was found the next day near his shop, but on the 20th April he was still missing, and there was no further news regarding this. Did he met foul play, or leave to start a new life under a new name? His wife never remarried, and died in 1988, aged 93 years.
Craigie & Co, Melbourne
William Cameron Craigie senior ran his tailoring concern from 1889 at 265 Little Collins Street. The button is just marked ‘Craigie & Co’ but the business was actually called ‘W. C. Craigie & Co’, and in 1933 was listed as a propriety limited company with his son Alexander Thomas Craigie. It continued after his death in 1936, last mentioned in the newspapers in 1941.
Cramond & Dickson, Warrnambool
In 1855 John Glass Cramond (1831-1910) and James Dickson ( 1831-1910) started a general store specialising in drapery imported from London. The partnership was dissolved in 1886, with the business staying with the Dickson family until 1974. It was the oldest store in Victoria trading under its original name. James Dickson junior, who married the daughter of the co-founder, would manage the business after his father.
Crawford & Co, Melbourne
In 1890, Abraham Crawford, a draper of Ballarat, went into partnership with Andrew King & Co who ran a warehouse at 250-252 Flinders Street.
In 1895 the firm was declared insolvent, with Crawford taking over at the same address. (One partner claimed that Crawford had manipulated the situation to get rid of his partners.)
In November 1897, “The Great Fire of Melbourne” which destroyed a whole city block, including Craig, Williamson P/L, also destroyed the warehouse. (see entry for this company on department store page.)
C. R. Hiam, Balaclava
Charles Robert Hiam (1855-1924) established his tailoring business in 1887 in Carlisle Street, Balaclava having previously worked for Gissing and Co. He advertised “cricketing and sporting garments made to order” and was at one time “the oldest established tailor in St Kilda.”
C. R. Martin, Melbourne
The Age (Melbourne), 3rd July 1884 page 7.
Charles Roper Martin (1833-1910) arrived in Melbourne in 1852 on the same ship as my husband’s great-grandfather. From 1855-1910 he ran an importing business in Flinders Lane, particularly gold and silver lace. He was a pioneer of the Melbourne Cavalry Troop, and rose to the rank of Commanding officer, retiring with the rank of Major. His interest in military matters extended to importing/manufacturing of military trappings. The button above shows a Queen Victoria crown and was produced for the Queensland Railways. The one below is apparently a Queensland Volunteers uniform button. He was the brother of G. F. Martin, of Stokes and Martin. He may have sourced his buttons from them.
C. T. Hasler, Castlemaine
Here is a draper better known for his accomplishments outside of work. He was a singer, choir master, organist and conductor. Born in 1863 he was a son of John Darby Hasler, draper, woollen draper, hatter, hosier, etc., of Market Square in Castlemaine. Presumably Charles took over the business after the sudden death of his father in 1896 due to pneumonia. Charles moved to Melbourne in 1922 and died there in 1946.
David Campbell, Warracknabeal
David (Davy) Campbell described himself as a Scotsman, but was born in Melbourne in 1875. He came to Western Victoria circa 1899 where he ran a tailoring business, first in Warracknabeal, then Horsham, then Dimboola before moving back to Melbourne. He died in Yarraville in 1945. He must have had quite a sense of humour ( and a ‘thing’ about camels)… just look at his advertising from the Warracknabeal Herald:
David Moyle & Co., Ballarat
Prior to setting up his own concern, David Moyle (1866-1916) had worked as a cutter for Twentymans (see tailoring pages). He worked in Moyle Street from 1907 until his untimely death in 1916. As an active member of the Lydiard Street Methodist Church, he was sorely missed.
Davies & Leon, Melbourne
In 1940 these tailors were enlisting (“joining the The Colours”) and so sold their stock to Myer’s.
D. Cleary, Bendigo
Dennis Cleary was born circa 1841 in Clare, Ireland, the son of a tailor. He came to Victoria in 1869, spent some time tailoring in Warnambool then in 1873 went to Bendigo to open a tailoring business in McCrae Street. In 1905 it became D.Cleary & Sons. Dennis died in 1912. His sons continued to trade until around 1930.
Denton Bros, Bendigo
See also W. Denton & Co. Sandhurst
William James Greaney Denton (1862-1936) with his brother Frederick John Denton (1864-1934) started the ‘Eclipse Tailoring’ establishment in Mitchell Street, Bendigo, in 1886. By 1890 they had a branch in Melbourne, which ran until 1912.
Another brother, James Greaney (1866-1939), who had been an auctioneer in Melbourne, took over the Bendigo branch some time before 1903. His son Keith Douglas Denton (1890-1970) joined the firm. The Bendigo branch closed around 1922, and Fred moved to Melbourne to continue tailoring. James was remembered as a renown charity worker in Bendigo.
D. J. Humphreys, Sydney
Mr D.Humphrey was listed as a tailor in Sydney from around 1863-1883.
D. M. Mackintosh, Melbourne
Donald McQueen Mackintosh senior (1857-1935) was a Scotsman who moved to Australia before 1891. He worked as a tailor in Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne. From around 1902 he operated from Collins Street before moving to Flinders Street. He was still there in 1923. His son Donald junior was a world champion trap shooter, competing in the 1900 Olympic games.
William and his son Judson Dobinson were engaged in “the study of the philosophy of dress in all its ramifications” from 1852 in the ‘Hall of Commerce’, and Alex Piper Street, Kyneton. They were drapers, outfitters, miliners, dressmakers, tailors and mercers, importers, wholesale and retail. William retired in 1866. The firm was known as Daniel and Dobson from 1873-1880 then the firm became A. & J. Dobinson around 1880, the sons Judson and Alex continuing the business in Kyenton and Echuca.
Don Tailors, Broken Hill
See also the entry for Syd Ingerson, Adelaide at http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/branded-buttons/branded-buttons-tailors-buttons-s-z/
In 1945 this business was incorporated with Bon Marche, drapers.
Donaldson & Co, Adelaide
Originally this firm was known as Donaldson, Andrews & Sharland. It opened as wholesale drapers in Rundle Street, around February 1866. The founders where Alexander Donaldson, Robert Charles Andrews and William Henry Sharland.
Alexander Donaldson left to live in England in 1870. His son George Frederick Donaldson also worked with the firm. In 1891 the became Donaldson, Andrews & Co, then around 1913 Donaldson’s Limited. In 1933-4 it was taken over by Glassons Limited. The firm expanded over the years to retail as well as wholesale, and became a department store. It had a store in Moonta.
Dyer & Millar, St Kilda
Dyer & Millar operated from 113 Acland Street, St Kilda from around 1913-1923. They were Leslie Eldred Dyer (1883-1957) and David Mitchell Millar (1889-1953).
E. Doyle, Coolamon
Coolamon is 40 km NW of Wagga Wagga in NSW.
This tailor may have been Bryan Doyle, who died in 1925. He was a tailor in Coolamon from at least 1904-1912. He supplied guernsys for the local football club, and uniforms for the town band. In 1912 a fire destroyed all the stores stock and supplies.
E. E. Kersey, Sydney
Mr Ernest Edward Thomas Kersey first advertised as a hatter and mercer in 1900. From 1909 until 1923 he operated in partnership with George Buchanan Crawford, as ‘Kersey & Crawford’. He died in 1945, aged 75 years.
This button is for Huddart Parker Ltd., see http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/uniform-buttons-2/companies-and-clubs-including-merchantile-marine/#Huddart_Parker_Ltd
E. J. & D. Curran, Bathurst
Edward J. Curran (originally Curren) was originally a cutter for W.G. Ward in Bathurst. He set up his own business, Curran and Taylor, in 1892, then E.J. & D. Curran (with his brother Daniel) in 1895, which was very successful.
This remarkable man went back to school, studying science and law, and worked as a Barrister in Sydney. He then studied medicine, and went on to establish the Opthamologly Department at Kansas University, USA, becoming known as “the miracle man of Kansas”, and was a pioneer in the area of glaucoma. He was also the Professor of Human Anatomy and Physiology at the Kansas University. Not bad for a tailor! He died in 1962.
E. J. Gleeson, Ararat
Edward James Gleeson was born in Maryborough in 1871. In 1902 he sold his tailoring business there and moved to Ararat where he lived and work for the rest of his line. He died in 1954.
Elliott Williams, Clare
Elliott Williams was born in Burra in 1888. He ran a tailoring shop in Main Street, Clare for over 40 years, selling out to his sons Errol Elton and Horace Searle Williams. They, however, only continued the dry-cleaning section of the business.
Emery & Gibson, Sandhurst
Thomas Sampson Gibson (1843-1913) was born in County Clare, Ireland, and arrived in Melbourne in 1857. He settled in Bendigo in 1870. He was a member of the Early Closing Association, local charities and acted as an honorary deputy coroner in his capacity as a J.P. His partnership with John Emery lasted until Emery retired in 1891.
John Emery (1824-1901) was born in Hertfordshire, England and came to Australia in 1855. After gold seeking he returned to tailoring in Melbourne, then in 1861 returned to England. Upon his return to Victoria in 1863 he opened a clothing store at Raywood, then moved to the corner of Pall Mall and Mitchell Street, Sandhurst, where 10 years later he was joined by Gibson.
E. P. Hood, Northcote
Edwin Parr Hood (1887-1947) was a grazier and tailor. He came to Heathcote in 1891 and worked as a tailor from 1905 until after 1934. He was involved in breeding thouroughbred horses, and a memorial race named in his honour after his death.
E. Scheding, Sydney
Eric Otto Gabriel Scheding was born in Sweden in 24th March 1892. He came to Sydney in 1925 and applied for naturalisation in 1930. He was a tailor from 258 George Street, Sydney.
E. Storr & Son, Adelaide
Edwin Storr and his son Francis ran this firm from 1897.
E. Thomas, St Kilda
Mr Elijah Thomas, tailor and outfitter of Grey Street, St Kilda. According to the information found in http://www.historyaustralia.org.au/ifhaa/bios/elijah.htm , he came from England around 1900. Three generations of his family operated “E.Thomas Pty. Ltd. Mercers and Men’s Ware” from then until 1980.
F. A. Johnson, Richmond
Frederick Adolph Johnson was born in Dunedin, New Zealand in 1888. From 1930 he lived in Richmond, moving to Morwell around 1939.
F. A. Pearse, Corowa
Frederick Arthur Pearse (1879-1952) described himself as an ‘art tailor and mercer” in 1912. He re-badged himself as a “Ladies’ and Gents’ Modern tailor” and advertised until 1932.
F. Bourne & Son, Adelaide
Frederick Bourne was born in 1855 in Kent and arrived in South Australia in 1873. He started as a tailor in 1888 in Adelaide, then in Kadina and Moonta before moving back to Adelaide in 1903. One of his 5 sons, a George Horation Bourne worked with his father and continued the business after Fred died in 1928 of injuries sustained when a train hit the car he and three others were traveling in. (All 4 men died as a result of the crash.)
F. Budden & Son, Muswellbrook
Frank Budden (1861-1939) was in business as a tailor from around 1885. In 1921 he sold the business to his son, Reginald Frank Budden, to be carried on under the name of Frank Budden and Son. The name changed to R. F. Budden & Co in 1933. It was still trading in 1953.
Fitzgerald Bros., Ballarat
James Joseph Fitzgerald (1845-1895) came to Victoria from Ireland in 1865. He reached Ballarat in 1868 and opened a drapery store in Bridge Street in 1870.
Later that year his brother Edward (1849-1918), who had arrived in 1869, joined him to form Fitzgerald Bros.
His parents and siblings, including brothers John Michael (1851-1926) and Thomas Stephen (1852-1888) joined them in Ballarat in 1871 where his father John set up practice as a solicitor. These brothers also joined the drapery business. Things must have gone well, as in 1878 they bought a business in Errol Street, North Melbourne, next to the Empire Hotel which they purchased in 1884 and demolished in 1897 to expand their emporium.
Unfortunately, founding brother James died unexpectedly in 1895. At that stage they were described as “drapers and clothiers at Ballarat, North Melbourne and Dublin”. Thomas had also died by then. The remaining brothers had to sell the Ballarat store.
The North Melbourne store had to be closed in 1938. Apparently, the moving of the tram line from Errol Street reduced customers! A mail order section of the business continued until 1947.
Fred Ogle, Mortdale
F. V. Davies, Coolamon
Frank Vivian Davies was born in Launceston but was living in Coolamon when he enlisted. He also served as a tailor during WW2.
Edward (1841-1925) passed his tailoring business over to hid son Frederick (1880-1945) in 1918. Frederick became the mayor. He collapsed and died suddenly during a council meeting, soon after undergoing an operation.