5th July 2020

Tailor’s button

T.G. Brown & Son, Adelaide

South Australian Customs

In 1878 Thomas Gattey Brown (1813-1884) welcomed his son, T.G. junior, into his business, and opened new premises.

The South Australian Advertiser, 11th September 1878, page 3.

In 1897 T. G. Brown & Son, were taken over by the firm of Mackintosh & Co, who were in turn taken  over and  E. Lucas & Co in 1903. The firm had made uniforms for many services, including South Australian Volunteer Forces, Military Band, Telegraph Department, the Police and  Customs Departments.

The Customs department in South Australia existed from 1837, and was absorbed at Federation into the department of Trade and Customs.

State Library of SA: The principal members of the South Australian Customs Department in 1885 at Port Adelaide. They are in Naval uniforms. https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+280/1/17/722

For all comments and questions, please use the Contact page.