University of Canterbury, Christchurch NZ
According to https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/exhibition/sculpture/sculptures/arms.shtml ‘The University’s original, unauthorised coat of arms was adapted from the Canterbury Provincial Government coat of arms in 1873. The coat of arms featured symbols including the sheep’s fleece, plow, and cross, which refer to the influences of the church and agriculture on the founding of Canterbury. These were accompanied by the Latin motto “Ergo tua rura manebunt”, meaning “therefore may your fields prosper”.’
The fleece symbolises the pastoral, the plough the agricultural of the region. The bishops’s pall and the cross represent Canterbury’s ecclesiastical connections. The open book denoted scholarship.
Founded in 1873 as Canterbury College, with the main campus in the suburb of Ilam. The name was changed in 1933 to Canterbury University College, then in 1957 to University of Canterbury. Women were allowed to be admitted to the college from its inspection. It was part of the University of New Zealand until 1961, then became an independent university in its own right.
The University gradually moved from the centre of Canterbury to Ilam from 1961-1974. The original neo-gothic buildings are now used as the Christchurch Arts Centre.
The Argus (Melbourne), 16th February 1874 page 5.
Otago Witness, 5th June 1901 page 38.
Press, 11th December 1957 page 9.
Press, 6th February 1960 page 14. The circular theatre of the new school of engineering at the University.
Press, 5th April 1960 page 14.
Press, 12th January 1965 page 12.
For any comments or questions, please use the Contact page.