The ‘Woolworths Stupendous Bargain Basement’ opened in Sydney in December,1924. In 1958 they opened their first supermarket and by 1959 the 300th store had opened.
Possibly from the early 1950s they sold there own lines of buttons, supplied at first by General Plastics then after 1957, by G. Herring. There were ‘Spares’ (utility/workwear), Boilproof, Moonglow, Hi-Style and Kiddietone (see the Childrens’ button page). Around the mid 1950s they added the name ‘Woolworths’ onto the cards. After 1957, they moved to the Beutron style cards with added cotton.
Probably mid 1950s – 1957
The addition of G.Herring “added cotton” dates these.
Below, two slightly different styles to all those above:
The first Woolworths Food Fair (combined food and variety stores) opened at Dee why in April 195. The triangle logo with the ‘W’ and Southern Cross within it dates from 1960 in newspaper advertising. This logo continued in use until 1967.
Sew ‘n’ Save: 1968-1972
The Moonglow line was replaced by ‘Sew ‘n’ Save around 1968.
Big W logo: 1973-87
Spares: Possibly early 1950s
These seem to be marketed as utility (work clothes/pyjamas) buttons. Those marked with ‘Woolworths’ were sold later.
Hi-Style: Possibly early 1950s
Boilproof: Possibly late1940s- early 1950s
These may be the oldest, as the cards a larger (7×11 cm) than became standard in the 1950s
The G.Herring feature of added cotton dates these to post 1957.
This was a Woolworths label from 1969-1980s.