9th April 2022

Department Store Button

Finney, Ilses & Co. Ltd.

Post 1905 (when the firm became a Limited liability company).

Finney and Iles started their drapery business in 1864 in Fortitude Valley, opening branches in Gympie and Rockhampton in the next five years. They opened on the corner of Queen and Edward Sts, Brisbane in 1870, then built a new 3 story building in Adelaide Street in 1884.  Further building purchases and expansion occurred. A new Finney Isles & Co department store building was built in Queen Street, Brisbane from 1909-10 and extended several times. They manufactured their own clothing and furniture.  After Finney’s death in 1903, the company was registered as Finney Isles and Co. Ltd. The firm was then only located in Brisbane. David Jones took over the firm in the 1960s.

State Library Queensland. The first store, Fortitude Valley c.1868.

The Brisbane Courier, 24th June 1870 page 2. The business expanded from the original site, extending well into Edward St and into Adelaide St, with the sale of the original corner at Queens St.

Thomas Finney 1839-1903. He entered politics from 1896-1900. Portrait c.1900, State Library Queensland.

1837-1888. Portrait c.1902 from the State Library of Queensland.










The Week (Brisbane), 17th December 1887 page 9.

Queensland Figaro and Punch, 29th June 1889 page 8.

The Queenslander, 9th May 1908 page 27. The ad shows they had outlets at their new premises, “The Big Block”, Brisbane, Maryborough Queensland (est. 1884, closed 1928) and Murwillumbah  (c.1907-1910) in NSW.

The Brisbane Courier, 23rd May 1913 page 30. Thomas Finney 1839-1903. This is the current heritage listed building.

For all comments or queries, please use the contact page.