New Tailor’s button
Samuel James Woods was a tailor who arrived in Adelaide in 1888, then moved to Melbourne in 1891. From around 1891- 1922 he worked in the Australian Buildings at 44 Elizabeth Street. He traveled to the country, servicing places such as Wagga, Cobrum, Numurkah and Benalla.
From 1905-1922 he formed a partnership with William Peter Manson (1871-1941). After the partnership finished, he again traded under the name S. J. Woods, moving to Collins Street.
See the entry for W. P. Manson & Co, Melbourne on the tailoring pages.
The button therefore either dates from 1891-1905 or 1922 to around 1931. (He was still advertising in 1931.) He died in 1943.
Celebrity note: The home where Gough Whitlam was born in 1916 was sold by the Whitlams to Samuel Woods and his wife in 1917.