An interesting new uniform button.Thanks, Cam Smith.
Women’s National Emergency Legion
This was a women’s volunteer group started in Brisbane and extended to regional Queensland from 1938 to at least October 1947.
It provided first aid and other training to allow women to help with the war effort, and was an auxiliary of the Department of Defence. Despite being a civilian organisation, it adopted military style uniforms and ranks. Around 1940 they became affiliated with Britain’s First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (F.A.N.Y.)
Following the outbreak of the Pacific War members were attached to U.S. units as drivers and clerks. Some watched for mines for the Naval Corps and some with the Volunteer Air Observers.
Mr Bishop was a British migrant who came to Australia in 1908 from Birmingham. He stated a jewellery store in 1920 in Adelaide Street, Brisbane. He had come to Australia to become a farmer, which he also did around 1932. His son, Carl, and grandson Wallace would also join the firm. The firm continues in family control.