The Cyclone Woven Wire Fence Machine Company was established in Melbourne in 1898 by Leonard Tasman Chambers and William Eastwood Thompson. They had secured the rights to manufacture American invented ‘Cyclone’ woven fencing wire. The word ‘machine’ was dropped from the name by the following year.
The name changed to “Cyclone Woven Fence & Gate Company” around 1903, the “Cyclone Fence & Gate Company” in 1921, the Cyclone Woven Wire Co Ltd during 1924-5, the Cyclone Fence and Gate Company Pty. Ltd. in 1925, then the Cyclone Company of Australia Pty. Ltd. in 1944, becoming a limited company in 1947. They made urban and rural products from both overseas and local designs in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Townsville and Launceston. They became famous for fencing, gates, fly-wire, ornamental and tubular wrought iron.
In 1930 a new showroom, “Cyclone House”, was opened in Hardware Street, Melbourne.
The company extended into playground equipment, scaffolding and conveyor belts.
In 1975 the Cyclone Company of Australia was bought out by Boral Limited, becoming Boral Cyclone Limited. It is a company that is literally shaped the landscape of rural and urban Australia