A story from WW1 …
Hawthorn Tramways Trust
The Hawthorn Tramways Trust was formed in 1914 to construct and manage electric tramways within the cities of Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn and Camberwell. They also purchased a horse tramway. At that time most tramways around Melbourne were the cable type. In 1920 their responsibilities transferred to the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways, when all the separate tramways were amalgamated.
They operated the Hawthorn Tram Depot and set up Wattle Park in Burwood in 1916, which was officially opened in April 1917.