13th September 2020

War Workers Uniforms, part 2

Catholic United Services Australia (C.U.S.A.)

They provided canteen service, including Christmas dinner, for service men and women. They wrote letters for soldiers, provided necessities, and ran dances.

The Daily telegraph (Sydney), 20th March 1941. Two CUSA members hang a US flag in a hall”

Junior Naval Auxillary

Established in April 1940 to teach girls seamanship, morse, and semaphore.

The Daily Telegraph (Brisbane), 19th January 1941 page 4.

National Emergency Women Ambulance Drivers

In Women’s National Emergency Legion (WNEL) was established in Brisbane in 1938. Their uniform was similar to that of the British Territorial Auxiliaries.

Miss Ronda Kinninmont, of the National Emergency Women Ambulance Drivers. Of navy blue drill, the uniform has squared pockets trimmed with brass buttons, and a matching visor-cap demonstrates how it may be worn with the back flap lowered for wet weather protection. An N.E.S. badge is pinned to the cap. Black driving gloves with a plain gauntlet are worn. In addition, black dugarees were required.

Randwick National Emergency Services (N.E.S.) Aids

The NES was formed in February 1939 to provide air raid wardens.

Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners’ Advocate (NSW), 2nd January 1942 page 6.

 

Red Cross Executive

Red Cross  Volunteer Aid Detachment (V.A.)

Women’s All Services Canteen

The Women’s All Services Canteen (WASC) operated a free 24 hour canteen at Central Railway Station, Sydney between 1940 and 1945, where service personnel could get a meal at any time.

Members wore yellow canteen uniforms, earning themselves the nickname “canaries”. The officers wore olive-green military type uniforms.

Women’s Emergency Signallers’ Corps

They also wore black ties and gloves and green dungarees for camp.

 

Australian War Memorial. 1939 portrait of WESC member.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *