Victorian Volunteers part 3: 1884 – 1901
Confusingly, mounted corps have existed in many forms, including Yeomanry Corps, Cavalry, Mounted Rifles, Mounted Artillery, Mounted Infantry, Light Horse and Heavy Horse. At one extreme, the Cavalry fought off horse back, at the other, mounted infantry rode to battle then dismounted and fought like infantry, but there was overlap of the various troops and their fighting tactics.
After the disbanding of the Prince of Wales Volunteer Light Horse in late 1883, other troops took their place within a year.
Victorian Horse Artillery
See Cossum page 15 and 16.
According to the Australian War Memorial, in 1884 a Nordenfelt (Rupertswood) battery was raised at Sunbury. In 1889 it had a name change to the Victorian Horse Artillery and split into two parts, one at Werribee and the other at Rupertswood. The Werribee chapter folded in 1893, and Rupertswood in 1897.
Victorian Cavalry Regiment
See Cossum page 16.
This regiment existed from 1885-92. The “A” troop was from Sandhurst (Bendigo), but there were also a Dingee and a Heathcote Troop. They were disbanded on 27th June 1892 due to falling numbers and disinterest.
Victorian Mounted Rifles
See also http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/uncategorized/13th-august-2020/
The Victorian Mounted Rifles was raised from members of rifle clubs throughout country Victoria in 1885. Members had to supply their own horse and saddle, but the government proved rifles, accoutrements and gear. Part of their uniform was the (now) famous slouch hat. They were poorly paid. The buttons were the universal pattern Victorian Military Forces type. The 2nd and the 5th Victorian Mounted Rifle contingents served in the 2nd Boer War.
By 1903 the VMR and various other groups became the Australian Light Horse in Victoria. Memory of this regiment was preserved within an armoured regiment, the 8th/13th, that has since been merged into the 4th/19th Light Horse. See http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/uncategorized/13th-august-2020/