Johnston (of) Hobart
John Ross Johnston was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1865. He had moved to Hobart around 1876, and apart from a couple of years in Melbourne, remained there for the rest of his long life. He worked from around 1878 to 1886 as a manager for Bidencope’s, before entering a partnership as ‘Johnston and Mason’ at 37 Murray Street, Hobart.
This lasted until 1889 when he continued alone as ‘John R Johnston & Co” until 1903.
In 1903 he went into partnership with James Miller as ‘Johnston and Miller’ as tailors and drapers.
Although partners stayed in Murray Street, they moved to the “New Buildings”, with Smale Bros commencing in Johnston’s old store. They were so successful they moved again four years later.The business became a propriety company in 1922. James Miller died in 1940.
By 1954 the store was described as a department store.This site still retains the name of ‘Johnston and Miller’, but is now a bistro/venue.
Mr Johnston was a great contributor to the city of Hobart, at times the president of the Early Closing Association, officer of the Drapers and Grocers Assistants Association, president of the Chamber of Commerce, Master Warden of the Hobart Marine Board, chairman of the Hobart Hospital Board, company director and member of other societies and clubs. He died in 1957, aged 91 years.
Smales Bros: http://www.austbuttonhistory.com/branded-buttons/branded-buttons-tailors-buttons-a-h/#B