1st Australian Horse
The First Australian Horse was a volunteer unit gazetted in 1897 with detachments of fine horsemen raised from from all over country NSW in 1898.
They wore a uniform of dark (myrtle) green with black embroidery in a hussar pattern. The buttons and badges were originally black, but later changed to brass. The slouch hat was turned up at the left hand side and featured the regimental badge. Two contingents were sent to the Boer Wars.
This regiment became a militia (partially paid) in 1900. In 1903 as part of the new Federal forces, they became the 3rd Australian Light Horse, then in 1908, the 11th Light Horse.