T.G. Brown & Son, Adelaide:
Thomas Gattey Brown (1813-1884) welcomed his son, T.G. junior, into his business, and opened new premises.
In 1897 both T. G. Brown & Son, were taken over by the firm of Mackintosh & Co, who were in turn taken over and E. Lucas & Co in 1903. The firm had made uniforms for many services, including South Australian Volunteer Forces, Military Band, Telegraph Department, the Police and Customs Departments.
The Customs department in South Australia existed from 1837, and was absorbed at Federation into the department of Trade and Customs.