Melbourne Harbour Trust
The Trust was established in 1877 following pressure from Melbourne’s merchants, and opposition from rivals Williamstown and Geelong, to improve shipping access to the city.
The work of the Trust would involve bypassing a section of the Yarra ( the Coode Canal), dredging and clearing of the river, and the excavation of Victoria Docks. The Sandridge Lagoon was filled and a deep-water canal dredged to Port Melbourne piers. In1978 the Trust became the Port Melbourne Authority.