Royal Naval Reserve
This design was used in the UK from 1903-1921. ‘George Kenning’ was an outfitter (so they would have made the naval uniforms rather than the buttons) in London from c.1857, although by the turn of the century they had offices around the Kingdom.
In Melbourne, Stokes & Sons made this design for the visiting Naval Reserve.
Newcastle Regiment 2nd Infantry Battalion
According to the Australian War Memorial “On returning to Australia after the First World War the Australian Imperial Force, including the 2nd Infantry Battalion, ceased to exist. In its place was formed The Citizens Military Force (CMF), also known as the militia. These new units maintained the structure of the AIF and kept the same numerical designations. The militia units were also distributed in the same areas the original AIF units were raised. Consequently, militia units were known by the name of their shire. Thus the 2nd Infantry Battalion became the ‘City of Newcastle Regiment’.” The regiment was made into a company of the Royal NSW Regiment in the 1960 restructuring. The British Newcastle regiment was nick-named ‘The Lambs’ due to the white coats of their uniforms, which may explain the rather muscular lamb on the button.