Stokes & Martin
This was a ‘General Service’ uniform button. The generic design was used for volunteer forces, both in Australian colonies and in New Zealand from 1870 until 1901. The backmark dates it from 1867-1893. In Cossum’s book of Australian Defence forces buttons, similar buttons were used in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia. In South Australia the design was encircled by a wreath of leaves. This example was for sale in New Zealand.
For any comments or questions, please use the Contact page.